Did you know that genetics play a key role in the development of sleep apnea? Sleep apnea is a common yet potentially serious sleep disorder characterized by interrupted breathing patterns while you sleep. Sleep apnea increases your risk for diabetes, depression, heart attacks, strokes, and even death. However, not all forms of sleep apnea function the same. Obstructive sleep apnea is a caused by a blockage in your airways while central sleep apnea is caused by broken signals being sent from your brain. Listed below are some of the most common risks for sleep apnea:
– If you are a male over the age of 40, you are at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is more prevalent in individuals with oversized tonsils, tongues, or undersized jaws.
– If your family history indicates the prevalence of sleep apnea, you may suffer from it as well.
– Allergies and sinus problems exacerbate the likelihood of sleep apnea to occur.
– A deviated septum can cause sleep apnea.
– Nasal blockages and obstructions can increase your risk for sleep apnea.
Dr. Sheldon Sullivan and our team at Progressive Sleep & Wellness will help you with your oral health care in any way we can. If you would like to schedule a visit to our dentist office in Gilbert, Arizona, please call us at 866-54-SLEEP. We look forward to hearing from you soon!