Sleep apnea is a type of sleep disorder that causes irregular breathing patterns that disrupt your normal slumber routines. There are two categories of sleep apnea: central sleep apnea, which is caused by brain signal failure, and obstructive sleep apnea, which is caused by blockages in the breathing airways that occur while laying down.
Are you at risk for sleep apnea? Here are some things to consider:
– Obstructive sleep apnea is very common in individuals who have a deviated septum and other kinds of nasal blockage or obstructions
– Allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Various biological irregularities can intensify one’s risk for sleep apnea, such as an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
– Genetics can play a rather large role in the presence or development of sleep apnea. If it is in your family history and you have trouble sleeping, you may want to set up an appointment with us for a possible diagnosis.
– Males are more at risk for sleep apnea than women.
– The older you are, the greater the likelihood you will develop sleep apnea – especially if you are over the age of 40.
If you have an oral health disorder like sleep apnea, Dr. Sheldon Sullivan and our team at Progressive Sleep & Wellness will make sure that your smile is properly treated. To book an oral exam or professional cleaning at our dentist office in Gilbert, Arizona, just call us at 866-54-SLEEP. A healthy smile is a happy smile!